BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Dinner Episode

Ok, so I started slow cooking dinner at about 7:15 a.m. I checked on it at about 11 a.m, put water to it added very few spices. In fact i only added an apple wood pork rub and some Everglades seasoning. It returned to the oven until about 4 p.m. when I took it out & drained some of the juices since they were starting to overflow. I turned the heat up from 250 to about 450 to get a final speed finish cook to it. After about 10 minutes of being on this temp the house started filling with smoke & the kids was getting worried so i asked them to check the oven due to me doing something else at the moment. They informed me that the oven was catching fire... at this point they start freaking out trying to blow it out wave plates like a fan, 1 of the girls was even about to get water & toss on it... on a grease type fire...... I got to where I could go to the oven, take the meat out, & put out the fire with salt.... firefighters have always taught to use salt on a grease fire & it is the truth salt will put out a grease fire for those that don't know this. So while I am working on the oven fire (how small it was) the girls was telling the wonderful wife about it.. which she decided to try to get me to come to her while dealing with this.... NOT HAPPENING!!!!... a few minutes later i get it back in the oven & go see what the wifey wants,...... she seemed to get a chuckle out of the fact that I didn't get all up tight & i acted as if it was no big deal. Mind you, I worked in corrections 9 1/2 years... 6 1/2 at the state maximum security prison that we dealt with fires on pretty much a weekly basis. It don't pay to get excited over something like that.... best thing to do is stay clam & handle the issue. Within minutes the fires started again.... so i had to take & clean the oven, put dinner back in to finish cooking, which is exactly what I did.... Boston butt, mashed potatoes, green beans, and corn was the meal & it turned out rather good in my opinion even after the SMALL oven fires that occurred. there was no accidents or injuries, the meat was not harmed, & ended up being cooked despite the oven not wanting to cooperate with me fully.

1 comments:

Desarei said...

Let's not forget that said wife promptly blogged about it for others amusement....-snicker-